Saturday, July 17, 2010

Book Review: Miracle on the 17th Green by James Patterson

Book Title: Miracle on the 17th GREEN
Author: James Patterson and Peter de Jonge
Genre: Fiction
ISBN: 978-0-316-69331-8
Pages: 152 
Source: Local Library

From the inside cover:

Travis McKinley is an ordinary man living an ordinary life - he has a job that he despises, a marriage that has lost its passion, children from whom he feels disconnected, and at age fifty, a sense that he has accomplished nothing of consequence with his life. But on Christmas Day, he goes out to play a round of golf, and for the first time, he finds himself in the "zone". He sees the putting line that has eluded him for years. Always a fairly good golfer, he finds himself playing like a pro and is so caught up in his excitement that he continues to play, sinking putt after putt, missing Christmas dinner with his wife and family. It is too much for his already troubled marriage. 
His family collapses - but Travis is soon too busy living his dream to notice. His amazing new golf skills catapult him into the PGA Senior Open at Pebble Beach, where he advances to the final round with two of his heroes, Jack Nicklaus and Raymond Floyd. And with his wife, children and a live television audience watching, a miracle takes place on the 17th green that will change Travis, and his family, forever.

My Thoughts:

This is a very typical Christmas story : a feel-good story that talks about family and relationships.The write-up from the inside cover of the book pretty much summarizes the story.. This is the first book by James Patterson that I am reading and I wouldn't say I looooved the book, but in all fairness, it's a light read(I finished reading this book in one sitting) and it is pretty humorous. 

The author's love for the game of golf is seen in the book... Oh ya, the book does use quite a bit of golf terminology(of-course you must have gathered from the title, that golf plays a major part in this book) but you don't have to be a golf pro to follow the book. I have grown up hearing my dad talk about golf and so I have always been fascinated by the game. But I would be lying if I said I know the game inside-out, I just know enough to understand the difference between a birdie, bogey & an eagle and that Jack Nicklaus & Arnold Palmer are some of the big legends of the game!!! Well... if any of the above words ring even a faint bell for you somewhere, then you will enjoy this book :)


My take on this book:

A light, feel-good book with a humorous angle to it, especially recommended for people who like golf (even a faint interest towards the game is counted) and believe in Christmas miracles...


Rating: 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this, and after Sundays at Tiffany's, I probably won't. I'm still reading Patterson's Women's Murder Club books, though. Glad you enjoyed it.

Post a Comment